If you are staying at the Holiday Inn in Independence, you can ask the concierge for a hotel shuttle (this is based on availability) for a ride to the trailhead. Consider a short Uber ride to (Lock 39) at the nearby Scenic Railroad (about 1.6 miles from the hotel). From this point, you will be walking in a southerly direction along the Towpath for a hike that consists of five stages:
- Lock 39 Trailhead to Frazee House Trailhead (3.75 miles)
- Frazee House Trailhead to Station Road Bridge Trailhead (2.5 miles)
- Station Road Bridge Trailhead to Red Lock Trailhead (2.5 miles)
- Red Lock Trailhead to Boston Store Visitor Center (1.75 miles)
- Boston Store Visitor Center to Lock 29 Trailhead (2.5 miles)
The total distance for Trail A is therefore 13 miles - if you leave at 9 AM, you should get to Peninsula by about 3 PM. You will be welcomed at the Silver Fern Bed & Breakfast. Relax before heading out for dinner at one of the local restaurants.